Based upon our motto, vision, mission, core values, and comprehensive research land-grant identity of research & discovery; teaching & learning; and outreach & engagement, our Virginia Tech community identified four strategic priorities.
Strategic Priority 1:
Advance Regional, National, and Global Impact
Virginia Tech will be globally recognized for its research strengths, world-class faculty, and ability to integrate its learning, discovery, and engagement missions as a comprehensive research land-grant university. Virginia Tech will prepare graduates to contribute and lead in a complex world by offering person-centered and purpose-driven student experiences designed to educate the whole person. Virginia Tech’s impact will be regional, national, and global.
- Increase excellence in research, discovery, and creativity
- Increase teaching and learning excellence for a holistic education
- Increase institutional impact and visibility
Strategic Priority 2:
Elevate the Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) Difference
The Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) Difference, a foundational differentiator for Virginia Tech, recognizes the integral connection with Virginia Tech’s land-grant responsibility of access and opportunity and its mission of service to humanity. Consistent with InclusiveVT, the institutional and individual commitment to Ut Prosim(That I May Serve) in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence, Virginia Tech will build and support communities of discovery where global citizens engage with different ideas, beliefs, perspectives, experiences, identities, backgrounds, and cultures.
- Increase representational diversity
- Increase cultural competency
- Address critical societal issues impacting humanity and equity
Strategic Priority 3:
Be a Destination for Talent
Virginia Tech will attract bold and dynamic faculty, staff, and students to a diverse and inclusive community to be a force for positive change. Virginia Tech will support the well-being and quality of life of students, staff, and faculty. Alumni and local communities will recognize Virginia Tech as a lifelong learning destination. Virginia Tech will invest, empower, support, and value a workforce that will champion our vision for the future.
- Attract, retain, and develop the talents of faculty and staff
- Attract, retain, and graduate students prepared to serve a global community
- Support lifelong engagement and learning for alumni and local communities
Strategic Priority 4:
Ensure Institutional Excellence
Virginia Tech will, through continuous strategic planning, create opportunities to solicit and explore innovative ideas, inform resource allocation, and engage the university’s system of shared governance. Virginia Tech will also optimize efficiency and effectiveness of administrative functions to ensure alignment of personnel, physical campus, and fiscal resources and processes in support of strategic goals.
- Continue to develop the physical campus and technology infrastructure
- Develop comprehensive and transparent budget and financial models with diverse and sustainable revenue sources
- Develop and launch an adaptive, inclusive process for continuous strategic planning